Rowan joined the recruitment industry as a graduate in 2009 and spent over 3 years working with a specialist finance and accountancy recruitment company.
During his first 15 months his role was as an associate consultant making cold calls and undertaking head hunting activities.
He was then offered several seats as a Consultant and opted for a desk specialising in retail banking, which he then went on to successfully develop over the following 2 years.
In late 2012, Rowan left the recruitment industry to purse a new opportunity in the world of entertainment as a sales and business development manager.Rowan subsequently re-evaluated his position and career path realising that he missed the world of recruitment and that his reason for leaving was because of the kind of recruitment organisation he had previously worked for. It was at this point in the late summer of 2014 that Rowan decided to make contact with a Rec to Rec.
Having used Rec to Rec agencies before Rowan had experienced;
- Rec to Rec’s commonly focus on the ‘numbers’ not the person
- He would be frequently asked; “Do you want to work on a desk with a low threshold?”
- Recruiters would ask about Rowans commission and OTE expectations
However 18 months into his earlier recruitment career, Rowan had previously been through a recruitment process and been offered a position that he decided not to take. One of the GSR2R
team had worked closely with Rowan through the whole process and stayed in regular contact
afterwards. Having built up and enjoyed a ‘fantastic’ working relationship with the GSR2R team,
Rowan decided it was time to ask for their professional help.
What happened next?
- GSR2R took the time to understand what had motivated Rowan to leave the recruitment industry and what was attracting him back
- They discovered what kind of role he would enjoy, culture he would he thrive in and where he could he see himself staying over the next, 3, 5 even 10 years of his recruitment career
- Cheryl at this point also uncovered how concerned Rowan was about moving back into the
recruitment industry. He regarded it as a ‘risky’ move because he didn’t want to make the jump back into recruitment and discover he had joined a company similar to the one he left
To address this, Cheryl suggested they took a ‘consultancy’ approach. This involved Cheryl using her vast network to source roles that were an ideal fit with GSR2R then arranging for Rowan to attend a number of interviews. Together they reviewed the roles, the company cultures and his interviews and established that, ‘Yes’ Rowan did want to return to recruitment.
Through the GSR2R consultative approach they were able to identify the company where Rowan felt he could happily invest the next 5 – 10 years of his career and life.
What Rowan thought of his GSR2R experience
1. The whole GSR2R experience gave Rowan the confidence to go into interviews and be himself. He knew that the two specific roles Cheryl had identified had been carefully considered based on his character and aspirations. As a result both company cultures were a fit to his needs and likewise Rowan was their ideal candidate profile.
2. Due to the strong relationship that had been established over time with the whole GSR2R team, Rowan trusted the approach Cheryl recommended and the advice she gave.
3. The team at GSR2R are highly regarded in the industry, are informed and have a great understanding of their clients. They are also selective in who they work and where they place candidates.
4. When GSR2R talk about team work they mean it. When Cheryl was away, Mike made himself available to help and support him through his decision making process which he valued and appreciated.
Would you recommend GSR2R and why?
“I would absolutely recommend GSR2R; the value for me is that it’s a personal, long lasting relationship. I don’t feel I will ever need to go to another Rec 2 Rec because I have established
a partnership with GSR2R and they know and understand who I am. They see no value in
placing me into a business where they can get a quick win. They treat you with respect,
intelligence, they understand exactly where you are coming from and they are about creating
very suitable matches. They are so well connected I would see no need to ever go and speak to another Rec 2 Rec.”